Book FREE Estimate Call To Book Estimate
If you are looking for the cheapest way to install roofing and are unhappy with the cost and how much work it takes to install shingles, your solution may be asphalt rolled roofing. When looking at different roofing options, rolled roofing is the easiest and cheapest one to install and purchase. Homeowners sometimes prefer to install rolled roofing as a DIY project, and although fairly easy to install it is recommended to hire roofing contractors to do the job professionally. The factor that may stand out when looking at the negative side of this is that rolled roofing is not most fashionable roofing out there!
Asphalt rolled roofing may seem like it’s too good to be true. It’s cheap and easy to install, so what could be wrong with that? What most people don’t realize is that the resale value is extremely low when putting it on an occupied structure like your house. If you are thinking about having rolled roofing installed, the best structures to install it on would be outdoor, utilitarian structures that aren’t being used as much, like sheds, shops, and garages.
Before you go out and grab a couple of rolls of roofing membrane you may want to educate yourself about the advantages and disadvantages of the product.
EPDM Roofing Systems are an economical install without disturbing day to day business. EPDM Roofing
Learn all you need to know when it comes to the TPO roofing systems. TPO Roofing
Extend the life of your roof at a fraction of the cost of a full flat roof replacement. Roof Coatings
Modified Bitumen is the classic standard in flat roofing, but has recently fallen in popularity. Modified Bitumen Simple & Cheap Roofing Solution
What is Rolled Roofing?
It is a mineral surfaced oil-based asphalt product available in 100 square feet rolls and weighs about 75 pounds per roll. It can be easily found at almost any home improvement store, or through an online source. Asphalt rolled roofing does have similarities to asphalt shingles but it is considerably cheaper, thinner and less durable.
The conventional way one might go about roofing their property is by using composite shingles. This type of roofing is similar in a way that it is also an oil-based asphalt product. That may be the only similarity that you would come across when comparing rolled roofing to the asphalt shingles. Shingles are not only thicker, but they can also withstand more. They are less likely to crack and tear because the stress that is put on it from external forces is distributed on a larger wide area of individually moving parts. Designed for use on roofs that are low-sloped, so if installing it on a residential property check to ensure your roof is adaptable for the installation. The pitch of the roof will determine whether the roof is designed to handle the process.
The benefit that may attract people most to rolled roofing is the cost of installation. When differentiating the cost of installation for rolled roofing by different roofing companies, it would be extremely evident that it is cheaper to install rolled roofing over any other options. It is not only a cheaper product, but the installation and the products required to have it installed is an almost bare minimum amount. Underlayment is another cost that you would not have to worry about, as it is not required to have underlayment installed. The materials needed to install asphalt roll roofing when getting it done by a professional roofing contractor or yourself is the rolls of the roofing, and 11 gauge roofing nails.
Weighing Up Your Options
• Cheapest roofing material, even lower than the least expensive composite shingles. The installation products such as nails are also inexpensive.
• Local roofing contractors can also provide cheaper rates for installing it professionally.
• When it comes to flats/low incline roofs this is the best product to cover such roofs, although hammering down the rolls on a flat roof will cause leaks to develop.
• Easy to install, unlike shingles that are installed one at a time, you can just roll out this roofing within minutes.
• Transportation is extremely easy, it is much lighter than the composite shingles. The rolls are tightly rolled up and sealed. Roofing contractors usually use either a forklift or cranes to get the composite shingles up to the roof to be worked on, but the rolls can be easily taken up to the roof by one person or with the help of someone else if you are doing a do it yourself.
• If removing your current shingles is a problem, it is usually permissible to re-roof over your existing roof. First, ensure to remove gravel, and other debris from the existing roof to avoid puncturing the MSR.
• If you are trying to go a little different from the traditional black roofing, most roofing contractors in Albany have black as the most common color. Tan, gray, and green can be found too, but only rarely.
• When compared to composite shingles, rolled roofing is less durable and not as long-lasting. The other reason that shingles work better is the network of several, loosely interlocking shingles expand and contract without stressing individual shingles. Rolled roofing is like having one big shingle and lacks much space to contract or expand throughout the seasons, causing it to tear over time.
• The important factor to consider when having asphalt roll roofing installed residentially is that it is the most unattractive and unappealing roofing.
• Shingles usually have a fairly good amount of years when installed by a roofing contractor, they provide up to about 20 years of lifespan or more, however, asphalt roll roofing has a fairly short lifespan of between 5 and 8. Rolled roofing also tends to lose its graining and start showing bald spots in only the first few years of its use. The benefit that you would be getting out of shingles is that it can move and shift with the house and not tear or crack as easily as rolled roofing would.
• This roofing system decreases the value of the property that it is being put on. Few home buyers consider it to be anything more than a temporary roof fix.
Professional Roofing Contractor Installation
If asphalt roll roofing is something you are interested in, contacting roofing companies near you and getting quotes would help you determine the cheapest way to have it installed. Not only that, but with an Albany roofing contractor doing the job professionally would guarantee a correct and longer lasting installation than doing it yourself might.
Most Albany roofing contractors build-up a free estimate for your job, so you can compare prices between different commercial roofing contractors and pick who fits your budget best. Our roofing contractors will always give you the best rate for their best service.
As a customer looking to get rolled roofing installed from a commercial roofing company, it would be best to call them ahead of time or have them come out to your property to inspect and determine if it is the most appropriate option for you. Always remember that hiring commercial roofing contractors is always a safer choice than doing a project yourself.
Roofing companies usually provide warranties on their service, so just in case something was to go wrong with your roofing, you can fall back on the warranty provided and won’t have to worry about getting the roof repaired. So if you think asphalt roll roofing is your go-to product and you are trying to save yourself some money, contact a local Albany roofing contractor and get yourself a quote. If you own a commercial building, rolled roofing should be your go-to option as that would save you so much and it’s the easiest solution for your roofing needs. Pro Installation For Optimum Longevity